1. GUITARS EXCHANGE: How did you end up becoming, or start out as, a luthier?
JEFFREY YONG: I began as a guitar instructor in 1976 and started to build my own guitars from 1985. I became full time in 1993.
2. G.E.: What inspires you to design and manufacture a new guitar?
J.Y.: Everyone was copying those branded guitars, as I used to do, but one day I said 'that's enough!', I should be able to do a better and more original design that I like, and uses the wood materials I find to be exotic and unique.
3. G.E.: Do you look for a given sound for any particular reason?
J.Y.: Yes, sound is the most important aspect of any instrument. I seek a crystal clear tone with strong bass and long sustain.
4. G.E.: Select one of the following and talk about: soul, jazz, blues, rock, pop…or other.
J.Y.: I like most types of music and especially the quality of each, rather than simply variety.
5. G.E.: Are you a jobbing artist or a solitary artisan?
J.Y.: I enjoy working on my own but I also like to teach and share my views and experience with others.
6. G.E.: What was the last record or CD you bought? And listened to?
J.Y.: I don't buy CDs now, but the last I bought was by Shun Ng and Japanese super kid Kent Nishimura.
7. G.E.: Electric or acoustic?
J.Y.: I love electrics but now I focus more on my acoustic guitars.
8. G.E.: What is the secret behind your choice of wood?
J.Y.: There is no particular secret. There are plenty of woods available that are very beautiful looking; although most of the wood is wasted as it is cut away and disposed of.
...AND TWO HANDS
9. G.E.: Why should we consider luthier-crafted guitars as a viable option to guitars made by the large manufacturers?
J.Y.: I think luthiers make instruments with a soul. They are original and one of a kind.
10. G.E.: Who plays your guitars? Who would you like to have play your guitars?
J.Y.: Shun Ng ( USA ), Kent Nishimura ( Japan ), Okapi ( Japan ), Don Alder (Canada ), Stuart Masters ( UK )
(+1). G.E.: What strings do you use and which amps do you most like for your guitars?
J.Y.: I like the Elixir strings but I’m not so into electronics, I prefer the natural sound of the guitars.
Official Jeffrey Yong Guitars website